Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Sad and The Happy


Well, it's been quite a couple of days............just a quick post as I'm exhausted!! My friend and her kiddos came up for a couple days while dh was on a business trip. We had a wonderful time, but busy!! My daughter is up with some friends in Denver so she could go to the Colorado Irish Festival. We'll be picking her up tomorrow when we go up for our nephew's wedding.

Well, first the sad..........my hubby's good friend lost his daughter-in-law to cancer. So he needed a couple of cards, one for his friend and one for the son. These are soooo not fun to make!! I've made general sympathy cards before and didn't seem to get too sad. But making them for someone I know and for such a profound loss put me into such a sad place. I am glad I made my other cards earlier since I kinda just need to veg and take a break from the stamp room for a little bit. I think the Lovely As A Tree set is really a good one for sympathy cards, especially for men.

Okay..........now to the happy........the much happier I might add!!! Our nephew's wedding is tomorrow and I needed a card. I don't know his bride to be.......and had only the invitation to try to get an idea of style and colors. So I settled on a simpler card where the beautiful Basic Grey - Periphery paper could do most of the detail work!


And then for the SCS Inspiration Challenge............it was all about Cake.....Cupcake Wedding Cakes.......oh the photos on this site were sooooooooo yummmmmmmy!!!!! Well, of COURSE the pink and brown color combos just jumped out to me!!! LOL That was so not a surprise to any of you, was it????!!!! Oh and guess what???? I totally ***discovered*** a new technique!!!! Okay, okay........I prolly did not actually discover it..........but I made an oooops and it turned out pretty dang cool!!! I had covered the latte mug with Crystal Effects but wanted to dry it quickly so I heated it with my embosser. And it bubbled up and made this really cool, smoky, wavy effect!!!! I love it!!!! Usually when I make a big oops that I can't cover with ribbon or more layers I have to dump it in the trash!!! LOL What do ya think????

I made this "Green" Card yesterday for my AWEsome Sis-In-Law!!! She's the youngest of all the siblings and has been the best Auntie ever to all the nieces and nephews and weddings and showers, etc. So it's her turn to be the center of attention and to be appreciated!! She's switching careers to work with some environmental issues.........hence the "green" card!! LOL All the siblings and kids are chipping in a little something to make this a special celebration!!!! And it was a good way to use Green Galore that I normally have quite a problem using!!!! LOL

Allrighty.........I need to spend a bit of time with hubby watching some old black and white game shows......they're great for totally relaxing and laughing!!

~ Have A Creative Day! ~

25 comments:

  1. Lee, your cards are beautiful and they will deeply touch the people you care about so much. Sympathy cards are hard to make...but it really is a ministry of encouragement, which you do so very well.

    Hope your spirit can rest today! Thanks again for your help last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the sadness in you life, but the cards you made will certainly bring comfort to those that receive them.

    You have been busy with card making and as usual they are all wonderful. Thanks for sharing so much with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Gorgeous cards. Sympathy cards aren't my thing. I mean, I COULD make them if I had to...but I'd rather just not think about it and just go buy one if I need it. I dunno why it skeeves me out like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee, your cards are all gorgeous!! I am so very sorry for the need for sympathy cards! The wedding card is fabulous, they will love it! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these are great cards Lee. I know that your friend will appreciate the beautiful cards you've created especially for them. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sad to hear about James' friend's loss. Your cards are beautiful and I know they will appreciate they came from your heart! hope you had fun at the wedding. the Irish festival sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee, so sorry to hear about the sadness in your life. Hugs to you and your family. Your cards are gorgeous and will bring great comfort to those receiving them. Enjoy yourself at the wedding, you deserve some R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what beautiful sympathy cards. I can tell you poured your heart into them. It is a ministry of encouragement to make such cards, as Diane says. I'm sorry for your loss.

    And the wedding card is beautiful too. Yet more encouragement of the joyful variety.

    I love your new technique and will have to try that! Looks very effective and interesting and (even better) shiny!!

    Great green card too!

    Hope you and DH have a lovely evening and DD arrives home safely after having a fab time at the festival. I love Irish music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything you made is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lee ~ I am sorry about the loss of the daughter in law of James's friend. The sympathy cards you made are beautiful.

    I love that paper on the wedding card...gorgeous! I love the new technique on the coffee card...very cool! I love the layout and colors of the Green card. Congratulations to you sis in law on her new job!

    Christi D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lee, I am so sorry about your friends loss. I know that when I made my first (and only so far thank goodness) sympathy card it was so hard for me just thinking about what the family was going through. I am certain that your card will brean comfort and peace. All of your cards are fantastic!! I totally understand about needing a break. I hope that your time off will lift your spirits. I'll be thinking about you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Lee, talk about your highs and lows. I have to say that you transitioned beautifully from one emotion to the other and it shows in the amazing cards you created. I hope you had a blast at the wedding and Irish festival and thus lifting your spirits.

    Your card for the inspiration challenge is too stinkin' cute...I should have kept that set - what was I thinking giving it away???

    Your green card is also darlin' - great layout~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful cards! Thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cards are all beautiful!
    I hear ya on the sympathy cards,especially when it's someone close to you. I'm sure they will bring much comfort to them.
    Have a great day Lee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards! The first is just gorgeous - I hope it brings the comfort that is needed. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lee! Sorry for the being MIA on your blog lately--just busy like you. All of these cards are so beautiful, Lee--I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends Daughter-in-law-that is so sad. You are so kind hearted to make these cards for them. Extra prayers for their family.

    Now, congrats on your Nephew's wedding! Yay for a most happy ocassion! What a gorgeous card you created for it! I hope you are having a great summer! I'm always thinking of you, even if it takes me a while to get around to telling ya! I think summer keeps me out of the house more, hehe! Huge hug for my buddy! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. your sympathy cards are especially gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cards are just GORGEOUS! I just love every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely understand what you are saying, I hate making sympathy cards but I try to remind myself of what they mean to the recipients and that makes it worth it. Your cards are fab my friend, and I am sorry I haven't been around much, but I am trying to be better!! We will see how that works for me...

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all fantastic. I'm sure eveyone will love them. Sorry that you needed to make sympathy cards:(

    Thanks for entering my blog candy!! good luck and have fun at the wedding:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, they're so perfect for everything! I really need to get the lovely as a tree set...you've just made it look amazing here. I don't mind sending you my snail mail. Can't wait to see what you create next.
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just a lovely mix of cards! I have to say that your "Lovely as a Tree" one is just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All of these cards are great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really need you to either make some sucky cards, or put one cute card per post so that I can adequately shower you with praise. Yes, I am having an all about me moment, but dang it, I can't remember every beautiful detail I want to point out from all of your fantastical cards!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly warm my heart! Thank you so much for making my day!