Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Word For The Year...........

is Acceptance. I really thought about so many words, but this one kept popping back into my head and couldn't be ignored! That must mean something! The definition shows that this really is such a comprehensive word.........."receiving, recognition, assent, approval, permission" among others. I struggle the most with self-acceptance. Of course I always am quick to say it's because I'm such a.......well......BIG gal!! But really, it's so much more than that! I don't have a happy childhood........I suppose that's actually normal!! The scars I carry are deep, and very seldom do I talk much about any specifics. That's okay......it's not necessary that I do that. My wonderful and loving hubby has helped me through those! He was truly a blessed God-send I will say!!

But I have never accepted myself! Ever. And last year was quite a year of realization for me! I am not the stupid, unqualified, evil person I was raised to believe that I was! James really has helped me to sit down and look at what I have been able to accomplish! Both intellectually as well as emotionally and physically!! Spirituality still has quite a ways to go! The cruelest abuse was having the belief of a loving God and Father stolen from me as a child! So the rebuilding there is slow.

I've always loved people and volunteering and children and causes and my own little family...........but this thinking about Acceptance is showing me that if I cannot accept (and love) myself......I can only develop partial bonds with others and not as deep and lasting ones as I would really enjoy......and that we all need so we can be fulfilled and content!! (Suzanne's word!!)

So............2008.............some goals for Acceptance as I see them at the moment:

Accept myself........just as I am, but always striving to improve!
Accept my children and husband as an incredible GIFT from above!
Accept others, with their gifts and their flaws, but still knowing it's okay to protect my heart.
Accept my past.........knowing it will never change, but it also does not have to define me.
Accept help from others.........that may just be the toughest challenge!

I know there will be more goals and other steps.......but this is a start! And seeing it on my blog and occasionally "talking" outloud here.........here's hoping to a year full of Acceptance!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on acceptance. I think our two words go together very well. In looking at contentment I'm sure the concept of acceptance will come up. I look forward to hearing more from you on this as the year goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. What an incredible post . . .

    Your post was truly remarkable. Just like YOU are!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful you accepted me into your life friend!!! You and your family have been an incredible gift to me...this will be a great year and I look forward to a year of acceptance and JOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your word of the year. :) I am going to have to try and come up with one for myself. Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acceptance is a great work to focus on. Good luck with your quest this year. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Lee. That's a LOT of progress. Acceptance is a great word to meditate on this year. I'm so glad you have some wonderful people in your life to help you grow. The Lord has blessed you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly warm my heart! Thank you so much for making my day!